What is a digital product-service system (DPSS)?
A digital product-service system (DPSS) is the digital companion of a product-service system.
The main task of a DPSS is to provide all the stakeholders of a product-service system (manufacturer, channel partners, customers) with information, insights, alerts, advice and all the digital capabilities needed to ensure the outcome the customer expects from the (connected) product-service system. To do this, the software exploits data collected from connected products through IoT technologies.
A DPSS typically stands beside the ERP, FSM and CRM systems of the manufacturer and on top of the IoT technology stack of the connected product.
A DPSS is typically made up of 4 high level components:
- Product Digital Model: it is the digital representation of the physical product + the container of all the rules and AI needed to transform raw data into useful information, advice, recommendations, predictions and actions;
- Service Front Office: it is the interface of the system with the Customer, it is composed by a Digital Customer Experience (CX) Portal and in some cases a Mobile App; it can also comprise APIs;
- Service Back Office: it is the Control Room allowing the manufacturer and/or its channel partners (e.g. Technical Assistance Centers) to supervise the installed base and take actions according to service level agreements with customers;
- Admin Back Office: it supports all the administrative workflows needed to manage the after-sales lifecycle of products and services.
Servitly is a rich and extended DPSS and it is made up of 5 high level components:
Product Digital Model
This component is at the core of Servitly DPSS. It is fed by the data stream coming from connected products through the IoT backbone. Its main task is to collect raw data and transform it into useful information, advice, recommendations, predictions and actions. The transformation is made through rules, conditions, algorithms and AI defined by the manufacturer through the Configuration Console.
The digital model represents current and historical information about product health, performance, availability, OEE, consumption and any other business relevant KPI.
The component also handles two-way communication with connected products, thus enabling users to carry out remote control or configuration activities.
Service Front Office / Customer Experience (CX) Portal and Mobile App
This component is made by a white-label Digital Customer Experience (CX) Portal and a Customer Mobile App. It represents the digital interface between the end customer and the product-service system. It provides the end customer with:
- useful information and functionalities made available by the Product Digital Model and packaged in the form of a Digital Service
- KPIs associated to the execution of advanced service contracts or advanced pricing models (pay per use, pay per availability, pay per outcome)
- an e-commerce store where to purchase service plans, service packages, spare parts, consumables.
In addition to the web and mobile interface, end customers can also receive information and KPIs via PDF reports and APIs.
APIs also allow end customers to interact with the product via Cloud-to-Cloud integration. Thus enabling the integration of the product into a Smart Home system (in case of a B2C product) or into a Industry 4.0 system (in case of a B2B product).
Service Back Office / Control Room and Field Mobile App
This component is made by a white-label web-based Control Room and a Mobile App for field technicians. It offers useful information and functionalities to all the stakeholders involved in the physical activities related to product lifecycle management, maintenance and support or advisory, allowing them to supervise the installed base and take actions according to service level agreement with customers.
The Service Back Office addresses both internal users of the manufacturer and channel partners: distributors, dealers, Technical Assistance Centers.
APIs allow the integration of the DPSS with FSM systems.
Admin Back Office
This component supports all the administrative workflows needed to manage the after-sales lifecycle of products and services.
APIs allow the integration of the DPSS with CRM and ERP systems.
This component is a self-service configuration console allowing the manufacturer to initially define and then continuously improve the DPSS. The manufacturer has full capabilities to define product families and models, raw data, rules and algorithms, alerts and advice, multilingual labels and messages, user interfaces for each user type, service level agreements and any other detail of the DPSS.