Servitization and digitalisation often come together, but not always at the same pace. Distinguishing them as 2 independent dimensions helps you better understand and plan your servitization journey. Let’s see how …Read more
In this article prof. Federico Adrodegari, Mario Rapaccini, Nicola Saccani and I have for the first time introduced the concept of DPSS (Digital Product-Service System) as a new software category.
This is definitely a minor event to celebrate, but I am still very happy with it. My motto is always “let’s give things a name“. To be able to communicate better, and even “think” about them better. The definition of Digital Product-Service System is a great step forward for us.
But if you are interested in servitization, it matters to you too.Read more
In this webinar, Professor Tim Baines is joined by Stefano Butti to discuss how digital technologies are helping manufacturers to transform products into services. They focus in particular on the creation and delivery of value to customers, with the help of the Business Model Canvas and proved business cases.
Just a preview of the themes and contents of the World Servitization Convention 2020 that will be held in Birmingham this September.
Massive remote monitoring, smart services and equipment-as-a-service can be the key ingredients of a recipe for restarting the equipment manufacturing business in the post-Covid-19 era. Let’s see how.Read more
For many years ASG has been organizing the Spring Servitization Conference, a conference dedicated to servitization, with an academic approach. However, servitization is gaining more and more interest also from the business world.
For this reason ASG decided to host an event dedicated to the industrial community.
“Our goal is to create a central, well organised, highly regarded and neutral platform, where industrialists can engage with their peers to advance their understanding about servitization and advanced services. We want to provide a forum centred around exhibits and demonstrations of advanced services and the technologies that enable them – very much setting out to bring servitization alive, showing what it can look like for a business, and the technologies and practices that enable success.” (Tim Baines, head of the Advanced Services Group)
Why you should attendRead more
If you are an OEM and want to offer services in addition to your products, you will certainly need a software that will manage your connected products and allow digital servitization.
For this type of software, you will face with the choice “Make or Buy?”.
You may be tempted to choose “Make”, considering that a proprietary solution allows more control, lower costs or having 100% of the intellectual property of what you develop. However, by choosing “Make”, you will have to face some relevant issue, like:
- Lack of experience and internal knowledge regarding servitization, with the risk to waste a lot of energy, falling into avoidable errors, and solving problems already solved by others.
- High development and set-up costs, resulting from the lack of experience and knowledge mentioned above.
- Release times often inadequate compared to the desired timing, with the risk of getting a result too late.
- Maintenance costs to ensure the quality, reliability, and evolution of the system.
- Scalability of the solution according to the growth of the business (100, 1.000, 10.000 connected products), also on a worldwide scale.
The advantages of “Make” do not always overcome these problems. Furthermore, a “Buy” solution could also guarantee the same advantages: control of the solution, sustainable costs, and the intellectual property of the solution.
Leaving aside initial costs and times that could be sustainable for you, if you want to undertake the servitization journey, the most critical part to consider, once the product is connected, is how to create services that can evolve over time, while remaining competitive, up the delivery of a “Product as a Service”.Read more
via Cavour 2
22074 Lomazzo (Italy)
tel: (+39) 02 3671 4281
- Servitization and digitalisation, a two-dimensional space
- Good morning Digital PSS!
- WSC 2020 webinar series – Getting Value from Digital through Servitization: Monitoring Value and Delivery
- Remote monitoring, smart services and equipment-as-a-service: a recipe for restarting the equipment manufacturing business
- Welcome 1st World Servitization Convention!